Saturday, November 2, 2013

IF IT'S NOT BROKE, "FIX" IT!

A few years ago I was bitten by the fixed gear bug. I scooped up the first old Schwinn road bike with horizontal drop-outs that I could find and built my first fixie.

If you have ever wondered what attracts riders to fixed gear bikes, hopefully these images will answer that question. It's all about taking something cluttered and complex, and making it simple and pure.

I'm not exactly Bob Osborn so please forgive the poor photography.

A 1978 Schwinn Sprint serves as the clean slate. Let the fun begin!


The only substantial purchase was the rear wheel and tire/tube combo. 
The rest of the bike is nearly all stock. Ignore the ugly seat. The idea was a low-budget build so I kept the pretty stuff to a minimum.


So much clutter...so little time.


That's better! Yes, the original handlebar was chopped and flopped. 
So clean and simple don't you think?


Gears...so over-rated.


That's the original chain ring getting a big hug from a nickel plated chain.


Cover your eyes...this stuff is nasty.


Another Schwinn saved from the trash heap.
Where have you been all my life? 
Why did it take me so long to rediscover my passion for bikes?


Again, I'm not a photographer but this pic doesn't look too bad. 
Location is downtown Georgetown, Texas.


1 comment:

  1. I think I have really come on the right place for getting the perfect info. vietnam holiday

    ReplyDelete